I am not sure about European organizations, but there are several in th U.S. that do wheelchair distibutions.  Some take donated wheelchairs and refurbish them, but there is some difficulty making them durable enough for rough terrain in developing countries and in the availability of replacement parts.  Others have built chairs from locally availabile and inexpensive materials; but there are problems with some of them not giving adequate support or cushioning; resulting in serious pressure sores:  One organization that seems to have worked out the balance is Whirlwind Wheelchairs.  I am in Morocco now and am in contact with a group who will be distibuting 200 wheelchairs here this Spring:  There is another group doing one, I believe, in Equador.  They keep a blog of their trips;  I am having some trouble with this keyboard, but will post websites for those groups next time I log on;

Tess Kruser

"A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals." <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Has anyone worked voluntarily in developing Countries?
>

>Can you recommend any agencies (other than the VSO) that focus on biomedical engineering work? What is the general opinion from this community regarding maintaining a part II (NHS) portfolio from
>within an overseas project setting? Have you been involved in delivering support, equipment or consultation to projects in developing Countries? And the best one - would you fund an engineer to work
>in an overseas programme?!
>

>Please do break radio silence and give your thoughts on this subject. This is something I am seriously considering long term after part 1 completion (all being well) so I am interested to hear your
>thoughts online offline or otherwise, but I look forward to a general discussion around these questions.
>

>Thank you.
>

>Graham
>

>Graham Webb
>
>Trainee Clinical Scientist
>

>Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering
>
>St George's Healthcare NHS Trust
>
>LONDON
>
>SW17 0QT
>
>Tel: +44( 0)7796 866012