Graham,
    This is a subject very close to my heart. I am an academic, so I cannot answer your NHS-related questions, but here are the projects I know about in the area of rehabilitation.
    http://www.laneta.apc.org/pina/ Is the link to Pina Palmera. A large number of former students (from Mexico) of mine have volunteered there over the years.
    http://www.projimo.org.mx/whoware.htm is the link to Projimo. Only one of my former students went there; the first time to the course to learn to make Whirlwind wheelchairs. http://www.whirlwindwheelchair.org/.
    Motivation is another possibility, based in the UK and active in many parts of the world. http://www.motivation.org.uk/
    RESNA has a developing countries SIG that has its ups and downs in membership and activity (SIG 17).
    And that is just for starters.
    Happy to delve deeper off list, if you want.
Ruth