From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list on behalf of Crofts Paul
Sent: Tue 17/07/2007 13:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: useful data on ethnicity and gender

I would love to know what these "other reasons" are "which could explain the results obtained" and what alternative explanation(s) there are that these findings "... do not automatically imply that there is some form of ethnic or gender bias within the HE system".

It seems to me that the evidence is clear: "even after controlling for these other factors, coming from an ethnic minority community was still found to have a statistically significant and negative effect on degree attainment (my emphasis). The research also showed that women were more likely to obtain a higher degree classification than men, except when it comes to attaining a first."

If all the other factors have been controlled for, what other explanations are there other than the ethnicity or gender of the student? Can someone explain?

Paul Crofts

Equality and Diversity Officer (Students)

University of Northampton

Room MY81, Avenue Campus

St. Georges Avenue

Northampton

NN2 6JD

Tel: (01604) 893887

Mobile (work): 07872836463

E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>