I think Michael is on exactly the right lines--library holdings should be
able to be plugged into a variety of 'bibliographic' resources--Amazon,
Abebooks (probably a better backstock of out of print material than almost
any public library) Google etc. Openlibrary.org is another example -still in
prototype but with big ambitions. Another point raised by the availability
of these services that no libraries should be *paying* for a bibliographic
catalologue. After all now they are free! (complete with reviews,
bookjackets, suggestions etc). What the library needs from a vendor is not a
local OPAC but rather a service to get their holdings added to a variety
(not justy one) of the existing free 'catalogues' (so the Amazon 'plug-in'
that Michael mentions is a start).

But they key (and what *is* worth paying for) is an easy to use *library*
fulfilment mechanism that lets a member of the public request and borrow the
book. I'd like to go onto Amazon or Abe or Openlibrary.org etc and either
key in my credit card to buy the book (new or secondhand) or alongside that
have something just as simple to borrow it (for free? home delivery?). The
Openlibray.org site gives an example of this. I guess that means some form
of *national * library entitlement card/or id. And here, in my view the only
sensible national aggregation is a *UK* one.

I've just done an article for CILIP Gazette along these lines.....(to be
published 27 July). I know the national fulfilment bit raises a lot of
political and admin issues but surely from a *user's* perspective it's what
we ought to be doing. Maybe doing it for the whole of the UK is too much in
one go. (the Irish have manged it but of course Ireland is smaller). Maybe
some libraries could work together to get the technology and processes
worked out--maybe try out some alternatives in different regions or
whatever. Seems to me libraries are doing a lot of great cooperative work
(including cross sector stuff) but it's time to raise the game.

Ken
Ken Chad Consulting. www.kenchadconsulting.com

Tell MSN about your most memorable emails!  http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/