Physicality 2007 http://www.physicality.org
EXTENDED SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 13 July 2007
Submission: www.easychair.org/Physicality2007
Acceptance Notification: 31 July 2007
Workshop: 2-3 September 2007

Call for Papers: 2nd International Workshop on Physicality
http://www.physicality.org
Workshop co-located with the British HCI 2007 conference
2-3 September 2007, Lancaster University, UK

We live in an increasingly digital world yet our bodies and minds
are naturally designed to interact with the physical. The products
of the 21st century are and will be a synthesis of digital and
physical elements and for the user, these will become
indistinguishable. As we design hybrid physical/digital
products we have to understand what we lose or confuse
by the added digitality - and so need to understand physicality
more clearly than before.

We invite contributions that address physicality including:
- design at the physical-digital frontier
- the philosophy of physicality
- artefact-focussed social interaction
- physically-inspired interaction in virtual worlds
- creativity and materiality
- interactive art and performance
- digital emulation of the physical

The two-day workshop will seek to construct a fundamental
understanding of the nature of physicality: how humans experience,
manipulate, react and reason about 'real' physical things and how
this may inform the future design of innovative products.

This workshop will bring together researchers from industry and
academia. We welcome product designers, interaction designers,
researchers in ubiquitous computing, tangible interface and
cognitive, social and philosophical fields, and indeed all
excited by this new challenge of the third millennia.

Important Dates
Submission Deadline        1 July 2007 EXTENDED TO 13 July 2007
Acceptance Notification    27 July 2007 EXTENDED TO 31 July 2007
Camera-ready Deadline      TBC
Workshop                   2-3 September 2007

We invite submissions in the form of a 4-6 page position paper in
ACM format(see www.physicality.org/physicality2007  for more details).
Authors must submit their papers in PDF to the submission
website www.easychair.org/Physicality2007

If you would like to produce a contribution in some other form
(demonstration, artwork, performance, etc.) please contact us
at <devina AT physicality.org>.

The workshop will include invited talks, short individual presentations,
and group activities. The contributions will be published in the workshop
proceedings. Building from this and the previous workshop, we are planning
a journal special issue and would hope that some of the workshop
contributions
will be expanded for submission to this.

This workshop is sponsored by the DEPtH Project, which is part of the
Designing
for the 21st century Initiative.

Program Committee
Dr. Devina Ramduny-Ellis (InfoLab 21, Lancaster University, UK)
Prof. Alan Dix (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Steve Gill (National Centre for Product Design & Development Research,
UWIC,UK)
Joanna Hare (National Centre for Product Design & Development Research,
UWIC, UK)

Monika Buscher (Dept. of Sociology, Lancaster University, UK)
Prof. Hans Gellersen (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Prof. Gabriella Giannachi (Performance and New Media, University of Exeter,
UK)
Dr Masitah Ghazali (Information Systems Dept., Universiti Putra
Malaysia,Malaysia)
Dr Eva Hornecker (Pervasive Interaction Lab, Open University, UK)
Dr Caroline Hummels (Department of Industrial Design, Technische
Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands)
Dr Simon Lock (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Dr Gareth Loudon (National Centre for Product Design & Development Research,
UWIC, UK)
Ann Morrison (Information Environments Program, University of Queensland,
Australia) Dr Mark Rouncefield (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Paula Alexandra Silva (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Dr Jennifer Sheridan (BigDog Interactive, UK)
Prof. Lucy Suchman (Centre for Science Studies, Lancaster University, UK
Dr Steve Viller (Information Environments Program, University of Queensland,
Australia)

Related Links
Physicality.org - http://www.physicality.org
Physicality 2006 workshop - http://www.physicality.org/physicality2006
British HCI conference - http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2007/
Designing for the 21st century Initiative -
http://www.design21.dundee.ac.uk/index.htm