From: mevel <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2007 10:03:00 AM
Subject: [SPM] TR: [SPM] Total intracranial volume: for information

Dear Jason,
thanks for your comment.

This is an interesting issue that we did not consider in our preliminary tests.

However, the question is then: Is it really false to include a voxel both in the GM and WM volumes since its contribution is weighted by its belonging percentage ? A voxel could be at the boundary between WM and GM, and thus be associated with a 50% chance to be WM and 50% chance to be GM. As a result, i will be included in GM (with 0.5 ml since we are in modulated data) and WM (another 0.5ml) volumes, but this would make sense anyway. Indeed, it will not be counted twice  (e.g. adding a 1 ml value in the two compartments for the same voxel) but as two halves. Classifying a "bordering" voxel in only one of the two WM and GM compartments seems to be also pretty false, doesn' it?

All the best,

Katell