From: mevel <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:43:13 AM
Subject: [SPM] Total intracranial volume: for information

Hi
!

As expected in our previous post we have performed some
tests to assess the effect of different threshold methods and values on total
intracranial volume estimation from segmented and modulated MRI data
sets.

We
have used either different thresholds (from 0 = no threshold, to
0.9) applied on each of the brain partition, or differently thresholded
wholebrain masks (again using thresholds from 0 to 0.9). We thus calculated the
total intracranial volume of 19
healthy controls and 28
slightly atrophied patients in these 9*9 conditions, and assessed their
inter-correlations. As expected, all values were significantly correlated.
Highest correlations (r>0.97) were observed for thresholds from 0 to 0.5
(where TIV values decrease from 0 to 35%, respectively). Thresholds above this
value lead to decreased correlations (0.95 < r < 0.70) and more than
49%
decrease of the maximum TIV value.

We
thus conclude from this preliminary analysis that the use of <0.5 threshold
values would lead to more consistent TIV estimation, and this threshold could be
indifferently applied to either each brain partition or the whole brain
image.

Best
regards,

Katell

Katell
MEVEL

Doctorante

email

Tél
: +33 (0)2 31 47 02 32

Neuropsychologie
Cognitive et Neuroanatomie Fonctionnelle de la Mémoire
Humaine

Equipe
INSERM EMI0218 - EPHE- Université de Caen Basse
normandie

Laboratoire
de Cycéron

Blvd