Kathleen - here are my 2 cents.  First, the timing of the peak in the HRF is not really grounded in theory, it's more of an empirically derived parameter (Karl can say more about where they got their particular parameter estimates from).  Second, I think that there is substantial disagreement over whether measurement of the HRF in a reference area (eg visual cortex) should be used to determine the timing of the regressor for the whole brain, given that there is substantial variability across brain regions in the shape of the HRF (e.g., Handwerker et al,. 2004, Neuroimage).

it seems to me that the best way to convince your committee member is to estimate the entire response empirically using a finite impulse response basis set.  By fitting such a basis set and then using an F test across all regressors, you can detect activation with no assumptions about the shape of the response.  then you could look in some of the regions that come out and examine the timing of the response.  A downside of this is that you risk overfitting, but for the purposes of convincing your committee member it should be suitable.  Another intermediate option is to use an optimized basis set, like those created using the FLOBS tool in FSL.

cheers
russ