From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter C. Herman
Sent: 06 June 2007 17:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Amoretti and Sonnets

since we have no knowledge of how far Shakespeare planned or approved the form in which his poems found their way into print.

This oint was mentioned earlier, but given Charlie's statement above, I thought it might bear repeating: there's now a substantial body of scholarship arguing that Shakespeare was much more involved with the publication of the Sonnets than previously assumed, and there is a corollary point: that Shakespeare wrote, or revised, the Sonnets close to their publication, and not earlier in his career. See, for example, these two articles:

Duncan-Jones, Katherine. "Was the 1609 Shake-Speares Sonnets Really Unauthorized?"
Review of English Studies n.s. 34 (1983): 151-71.

Hieatt, A. Kent, Charles W. Hieatt, and Anne Lake Prescott." "When did Shakespeare
Write Sonnets 1609?" Studies in Philology 88 (1991): 69-109.

For the Sonnets generally, see also James Schiffer's 2000 anthology, Shakespeare's Sonnets: Critical Essays.

pch

At level of the sequence, the appearance of realism may therefore be partly accidental - with the messiness (for want of a better word) of real subjective experience being 'imitated' not through any authorial intention but rather as a consequence of the real-word messiness of the circumstances of publication.

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk