Whitman, Song of Myself.

>>> [log in to unmask] 6/5/2007 9:18 PM >>>
Sorry, David, I'm having a Seniors moment.  What's your reference to
"multitudes'?

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of David L. Miller
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 10:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Amoretti and Sonnets

Regarding (a), I would urge you not to write Spenser off in these
terms.

 He too contains multitudes, and in the Amoretti he is struggling with

the tradition of love poetry differently, but no less gustily, than
his

precocious younger contemporary.

>>> [log in to unmask] 6/5/2007 7:55 PM >>>

I have been re-thinking my way through Spenser's Amoretti and

Shakespeare's

Sonnets.  My interest at this time is not with FQ.  I wonder how

scholars on

the List react to issues like these:

(a)    Amoretti can be interpreted as a game played between Elizabeth

Boyle

and the persona of the poet; the sequence remains strictly within the

bounds

of convention while promoting transcendence; it accepts a Platonist

philosophy.  Spenser is an abstractionist, an idealist, a Platonist.

(b)   Shakespeare's Sonnets promote an effect of reality

(concreteness,

materialism), are anti-convention, reject transcendence, and are

anti-Platonist because Shakespeare likes the world as it is; he isn't

an

idealist.  His Sonnets do not demonstrate that he has any idea of

Platonism.

(c)    Is there any agreement that Shakespeare's Sonnets display a

grasp of

reality that we find in the mature dramas i.e. a sense of human drama,

representation of the action of thought, feeling, the same concrete

grasp of

human complexity that many of the plays (soliloquies in particular)

do?

Does this make him more realistic than Spenser?

I'd welcome your thoughts and specific references if you have them to

mind.

I've been amazed at the in-depth knowledge you have about the FQ,

Milton,

and so on.

Ian Lipke (University of Queensland, Australia)