I think it's very difficult to go back in time and try to understand
how people thought 100+ years ago. Though interesting historically,
of course, why is it relevant to a current definition? I assume there
is no doubt that, even in the 1970's and beyond, decisions were made
that most or all of us find disgusting but surely the people that
made them were not all intrinsically evil, even if they should have
known better. I suggest that what is really important, as regards a
statistical usergroup is the recent past, the present and the future.
Am i missing something? Probably!

Julian (Besag)