Hi all,

I've been watching the debate with interest.  A couple of observations.
Just read a book called People Styles at work, by Robert and Dot Bolton -
outlining a method of observing behaviour in order to relate better. Basically
following David W Merrills research in the 1960s.

Working in a commercial environment myself I am well used to the demand for
instant results, to maintain competitiveness. There is nothing wrong with
this view in itself, its immensely practical. There are also legitimate views
around making solid decisions based on a thorough examination of the facts,
the affects decisions have on people, or on yourself.  Often peoples values
can be similar but how they relate or express themselves is different and
this can lead to confusion.

What seems to be at issue is not so much the values of research, but the
desire for ideas that are transferable and will give results - as Edward
states:

"What drew me to BERA-Practitioner-Research was the possibility of learning

what other 'practitioners' were doing in other fields to advance
competencies in training skills."

There is no evident conflict in values here with the idea or practice of
living educational theory, perhaps the question could be re-phrased as -
what practical guidance can people point to in their own research that is
transferrable, or useful to others, that could be shared through this list?
 It does not have to be a nomothetic, over-arching theory, just some ideas
that are transferrable, and can be tried in practice.

For my part the outcome I found most useful in my own research is, it is
possible to learn how to use open source software, Apache Web Server, MySQL
and PHP to be able to use it in practice, but its almost impossible for an
individual to learn it alone, and the interventions of others is crucial.
The logic in most programming languages is similar, just the syntax is different,
so its worthwhile learning some programming, even if just to relate better
to people at work.

There is a lot of theorising about research, which is very important, but
is there a way of grounding this in practical terms to improve our own practice
-

how can we help each other out in improving our practice?

Thanks,
Darragh