On 03/06/07, MC Ward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Kasper, I think it's always a surprise when tastes
> differ. If Anny and I have an enthusiastic response to
> Katia's poems, we implicitly opine that we think we're
> right--as I'm sure you believe your own position to be
> the right one. No surprise _there_!
>
> Anny, I had no idea you'd done so much to bring the
> poems to attention. Thanks on my own behalf and that
> of other fans.
>
> Candice

believing one's taste to be the right one is pompous, & a fallacy
whatsmore. I never claim 'truth' or 'correctness' in my views; if that
impression is given off, it's because I don't like to use language
that is constantly conditional & explanatory & apologetic when
discussing matters of taste. if I did enjoy it, I would probably cause
fewer eyebrows to be raised on this list (whether in amusement or in
indignation).
maybe what I should have said was that, based on a BRIEF look at her
small collection of work on that page, Kapovich's style is in contrast
with the styles & modes of poetry that I've most concerned myself
with. also, her narrative proselike style is something that makes
warning-bells ring in me because I've read so much contemporary poetry
written in a prosaic drone that I've all but gone off it entirely. the
best poetry, in my OPINION (ha), is that which has music.

but I'm glad you called me on my opinion, since I hadn't actually
backed it up with anything (not that I should need to, & I don't
really like the passive aggression I keep getting when I differ in
opinion with some of you); I took a longer look, & did find several
poems of hers that I liked. 'A Paper Plane to Nowhere' (which was very
touching) & 'The Landscape of a Room' for instance. the imagery does
glimpse at a magical within the daily, of human experience. plus they
are not entirely without music.
to be honest, another thing that tends to put me off is when a poet
writes only about themselves (all writers write from their own
experience, that isn't what I mean), but Kapovich's voice may have a
quality that neutralises the implicit self-aggrandisement of 'talking
about yourself'. I'm not sure. and this actually opens another issue
for me, concerning poetry as a whole:

my own writing has a way of being rather detached, & I think this has
to do with my conception of poetry in general AS somewhat detached.
the experiencer has always felt like something or a shaman to me, or
something/one high & important; possibly because I consider myself
attached & attracted by the senses & everything they relay to us. the
first person singular pronoun (or plural for that matter) has often
made me queasy. the reason for THAT, I've postulated recently, is that
a serious, sombre voice can't help but make the first person sound
ridiculous (more often than not, that is). it's for this reason that
I've started trying to involve the lighthearted or even comical in my
writing; not as the driving force, which for me is usually still
revelry or awe, but as an injected, grounding tone that emerges now &
then -- and gives the otherwise sincere tone all the more credibility.
this is the theory.

KS