Our University has a formal policy that Turnitin must be used in this
way.  Turnitin cannot be used in evidence against a student if the
student has not had the opportunity to view and correct their work prior
to submission.  The delay between multiple submission is very effective
in killing off those into immediate gratification ie algorithm busting.

Suzanne Ryan
Teaching, Learning and Quality Coordinator
Newcastle Graduate School of Business
University of Newcastle
Callaghan  NSW  2308
Australia

Phone  +61 2 49 216015
Fax       +61 2 49 217398

www.gsb.newcastle.edu.au

>>> Paul Davis <[log in to unmask]> 07/06/07 7:36 pm >>>
Of course this facility exists within Turnitin - but I wonder if many
use
it. That gives a delay of 24-36 hours between submissions to reduce
the
prospect of "beating the system".
The disadvantage of the student system is that I'd guess it only
searches
something like Google, but there's lots of other stuff which doesn't
get
registered due to access restrictions.

Paul

Dr Paul V Davis
Acting Head, Learning Technologies Group
Marketing coordinator, Bodington.org
Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN
Tel: 01865 283414