Hi Tim (and Rob) and list
All design boundaries are political. For example, in some contexts
Engineering wants to own industrial and product design, architecture
wants to own interior design, Fine Arts may believe Graphic design is
under its wing etc... Compared to architecture and its disciplinary
stability, history and status the disciplinary project in the more
recent design disciplines - apart from their purported or real
parrainage and affiliation by some other big brother is a project of
some interest to some scholars, educators and practitioners outside the
more established disciplines (Tony Becher's work is useful here).
Pragmatic exclusion and inclusion through boundaries is also part and
parcel of research and evaluation. So, if I'm in an appeasing mood with
the title I will make it clear in future that PhD Programs in Design
will be subtitled with (communcaiiton, interior, industrial, product) or
some such explicit (albeit polemical still) practical line drawing.
Anyway lets see. All this debate of course is very stimulating and
pertinent to what I'm trying to see ultimately. Thanks for chipping in.

>>> Tim Smithers <[log in to unmask]> 06/06/07 3:55 PM >>>
Dear Gavin,

  "... but I'm not into a power game."

But, when you then say

  "... design (interior, industrial, product,
   communication) I think needs some champions."

it sounds like you are indeed into a power game.

To exclude architecture programmes from any list
of design programmes, for whatever reason, could
hardly be anything but power gaming.

-- Tim

At 11:06 +1000 6/6/07, Gavin Melles wrote:
>Hello Robert (and others)
>Yes, I suppose it is a political boundary and yes I know that
>architecture owns design (also) but I'm not into a power game. I
>also know there are tussles over territory e.g. interior
>design/architecture but really architecture is far better served in
>the literature and design (interior, industrial, product,
>communication) I think needs some champions. On the other hand, if
>someone else wants to do the math on architecture - I don;t have the
>time - then we can produce and expanded spreadsheet.

>I note you exclude architecture. Why? If you visit architecture
>graduate programs today, you will find that many projects and theses
>involve issues indistinguishable from other areas of design.
>
>I would argue you are drawing a political, not a substantive,
>boundary. Is your goal power, or knowledge?
>
>-rob-
>
>--
>Rob Woodbury
>Professor
>Scientific Director, Canadian Design Research Network    (www.cdrn.ca)

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.