From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Sue Morley
Sent: 05 June 2007 14:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Retirement age

Hi Sara I'm with you on this one.

Last year I received a PEHQ for an 85yr old (Lecturer in Biosciences).
My approach had to be, would I have passed him fit if he was 45, and the
answer was yes. However I did ask the department to undertake a risk
assessment to ensure that if he was supervising or undertaking
laboratory experimental work that neither he or the students would be at
risk.

Also when allocating his workload for the year that adjustments maybe
needed to take account of his cognitive function. The department had not
taken this into consideration as he was still tearing up and down the
stairs as he had twenty years ago. They carried out a risk assessment
with him and he is still happily working and tearing up and down the
stairs!!

Sue