We are all protected by the DDA if we have a disability that fulfils the definition. The legal profession say it is not for us in OH, or the employer to decide who comes under the DDA and certainly I have always been advised to say to management on a referral that someone is either 'likely' or 'unlikely' to come under the DDA. In fact there are quite a few legal beagles that say it is safer to assume that all people come under the DDA and make reasonable adjustments - the emphasis being on 'reasonable'. Gillian Howard has written an article in the May/June Occupational Health Review on 'Making reasonable adjustments - the duty defined' pages 35 & 36 and she gives some very useful advice on the topic. Gillian says that failure to make reasonable adjustments amounts to disability discrimination.

Cheers, Greta

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Jeremy Smith
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] DDA

I thought the legal onus was only where the individual was protected by the DDA not when they weren't?

Jeremy R F Smith

RGN BSc Hons (OHN) SCPHN

Occupational Health Manager - KCC

01622 605518 (VPN 7000) EXT 5518

Occupational Health Service Commercial Services Building

Gibson Drive, Kings Hill, West Malling ME19 4QG

Personnel & Development

Making KCC a Great Place to Work