Thanks for that answer Greta
I have got your book - as recommended by Cynthia Atwell - and constantly refer to it.  Its about changing peoples idea about what we could be doing, rather than going with the flow because its easier
Regards
Trish

Message Received: Jun 22 2007, 09:00 AM
From: "Greta Thornbory"
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] pre employment medical questionnaires

Presumably you all mean pre-employment health questionnaires or health declaration forms? There is a growing body of evidence developing about the use of these forms and the move today is to go along the route of HR asking three questions:

•         Do you need any special aids/adaptations to assist you at work, whether or not you have a disability?
•         Are you having, or waiting for, treatment or investigations of any kind at present?
•         Have you ever had any health problems which may have been caused or made worse by work?
–        Answer YES to any one of the questions and the candidate must be referred to OH for assessment
–        Answer NO to all questions and accept as fit for employment
»         Hargreaves C, Screen Test, Occupational Health journal July 06

Where there are specific health hazards then a risk assessment form should be completed by HR and sent to OH asking them to assess the suitability of someone for that specific task/area of work. This will cut out all the unnecessary screening of health declaration forms, especially as all the research is showing that 1. people don't answer them honestly and 2. 99% of people are not rejected. (One HR manager in a national company told me of the 9000 people she had employed over a period of many years OH had never turned down anyone!!)

There is a whole chapter about pre-employment in our book which deal with this subject although the pre-employment form we have given is the one recommended by Whitaker's research in the early 1990s, the 3 questions above came after we had written the book but we will include it when we update it in a couple of years. As for management referrals yet again I attach the management referral form we recommend in the book which says it all really!

Please contact me off line you need any more

Kind regards, Greta

Greta Thornbory
Consultant, Occupational Health & Education
Consultant Editor, OH Journal
www.gtenterprises-uk.com
Tel: 01235 770156
Mob: 07778 518 027