From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Jane Fairburn
Sent: 05 June 2007 11:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Retirement age

Hi,

Its a Duty of Care issue and it would only be relevant to specific roles
which are assessed as high risk e.g. LGV drivers (who will have Group 2 DVLA
screening annually from 65 with no upper age limit and this is not
discriminatory). Company screening annually means that they get a 'check up'
every 6 months - this can have a very positive impact on employer liability
insurance as the risk is reduced by robust health management strategies. I
am involved in an employer indemnity insurance audit today(by one of the
major insurance providers) and it is very interesting what measures they
will accept as reducing the risk (and so the premium) The business can then
spend more on the OH services it provides.

Its not discrimatory per se to use age as a factor - the government still
has limits related to age/health - in fact the DVLA guidelines is a good
example of this. Its not meant to be predictive but a baseline snapshot to
show due diligence.

Management referrals can only be made when you are aware of the problem by
which time he may have turned his lorry over on the M6 and the tabloids
reports "68 year old ***** Ltd driver mows down X - allowed to drive whilst
waiting for a Triple Heart Bypass". (Drama Queen coming out but you get the
picture?) As far as being aware of the problem, it is interesting how many
drivers are signed off sick long term with e.g. debility when he has in fact
failed his DVLA medical or alternatively continues to drive (which they are
legally allowed to do under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act) until he
gets his licence 'officially' revoked or again wraps his lorry around a
tree.

Transport is one of the high risk occupations in my view and this would
justify health interventions (appropriately contracted and agreed of course)

Regards,

Jane

Jane Fairburn
Occupational Health Services Director