hi Sarah and list,

I just had a quick look at this project, which I hadn't done yet.
Some quick comments:

The interface is not cool at all imo, instead it is embarrassingly
missing the mark. Museums creating promomaterial (which this site
basically is) that looks like outdated retro partyflyers for
exhibitions about new media art ... OMG (oh my god), as my 13 year
old daughter would say.

The exhibition in itself seems interesting. It does not seem to
contain any art with immediate online components, which is strange
since the intro does refer to it. However: net art is a very broad
term in my point of view, as you may know. Not all of it needs to be
presented in or even be created for an online environment. Its
connection to/basis in online cultures makes it net art.

The problem is of course that there is no evidence whatsoever that
the curator/organisers have any awareness of this, or that they are
aware of any deeper issues in net art then is shown via the screen.
The words 'screening schedule' below every work in the section 'the
artist and the computer' speak volumes for me. In fact, the words
'screening schedule' could well turn into a future nightmare for net
art.

The idea that art online would die when a net.artist proclaimed it
dead is of course absurd when one knows that this type of work has a
history that started long before net.art even came about, like also
Simon Biggs explains. The dot.com hype had little to do with it,
except create an at times quite undesirable attention for art online.
On the upside this attention took new artists, curators, critics and
audiences to the field. What died (or is comatose) was both the
dot.com.art hype and the ideological cult around net art/net.art.

warmest greetings,

*