I've just done a search on Hauxwell and Crossgate and found the
passage below.  It gives George Hauxwell as the owner.  I got the
name Robert (one of his sons) from the drain cover outside my house!)

Mike

"Atherton Street dates from the 1860s but parts of the street
adjoining North Road were demolished in 1970.

"In times gone by, Atherton Street was principally famed as the home
of Hauxwell's Iron Foundry and Engineering Works, one of the best
known firms in the city. Situated at number 8 Atherton Street, the
firm was established by George Hauxwell, who was born at Great Ayton
in about 1826. He moved north from Yarm, near Stockton, and
established his works in Durham, near the viaduct around 1860. In the
1870s, the firm acquired a rival foundry belonging to the Coulsons in
the neighbouring street of Crossgate.

"In his later years, Hauxwell's three sons, William, Robert and
George junior, assisted George in the business and the firm came to
be known as George Hauxwell and Sons. By the time of the 1881 census,
when George described himself as an iron founder and engine maker,
the firm employed 22 men and eight boys, so it was a relatively small
concern. Most of the foundry workers seem to have lived in the
Crossgate area of the city.

"Over the years, Hauxwells was involved in all kinds of industrial
activities, as colliery engineers, millwrights, iron founders,
farriers, heating engineers and welders. One particular legacy of the
firm was its manhole covers that can still be seen across Durham
today. George Hauxwell became a JP and alderman in Durham and died in
1897, but his firm continued to operate during the 20th Century. The
building that housed the old foundry was unfortunately a part of
Atherton Street that underwent demolition about 1970.

"The demolitions, which also affected some houses in neighbouring
Sutton Street were necessary to make way for the new roads connected
to the Castle Chare and North Road roundabout. A new section of
Sutton Street that forms part of the A690 runs parallel to the
viaduct and cuts through the old iron foundry site near the roundabout."