Diana Wright suggested that four nails was one more than the crucifixion.

A thirteenth-century English text (Ancrene Wisse) refers to a three-nail crucifixion, which is used as supporting evidence for the post-1200 dating of this text, since prior to this date Jesus on the cross was often depicted as though standing with his feet side by side – which would have necessitated four nails (I’m writing from memory:  I’m sure someone will correct me if necessary).

This is one of those small but significant cultural shifts or changes which are probably of more use to the historian or literary scholar than the Big Labels (Antiquity/High Middle Ages) that are stamped on the (now oft-criticised) Grand Narrative of history.  Periodization and labelling are necessary if we are to handle the material of history – but we need to be careful how we handle such labels and allow them to be porous.

Cate