On Wednesday, June 13, 2007, at 6:48 pm, Ann Ball wrote:

> Just ran across a photo of a carving obviously outside a church of a
> male
> saint with bishop's mitre and he is holding three large rocks in his
> cloak (he
> has lifted the cloak up to carry them) and it looks like a fourth rock
> sits on
>  his shoulder.  By any chance does anyone recognize this?
> Ann

A reading from "saints of the day", 12. June 2007:
> 3)  Eskil of Strängnäs (d. 11th cent.).  E. was an eleventh-century
> missionary in Södermanland (in southeastern Sweden), martyred at
> Strängnäs.  Medieval legend makes him an Englishman and has him stoned
> to death on 11. June 1080.  ...
>
> Here's E., holding the stones that killed him, in the
> fifteenth-century vault paintings of Överselö kyrka in the diocese of
> Strängnäs:
> http://tinyurl.com/2hvgc4

What I didn't say was that this Eskil was remembered as a bishop and is so represented in art.  That vault painting noted above clearly shows him mitred.

On the other hand, E. is not the only bishop to have been put to death by stoning.  James the Just (James the brother of the Lord), bp. of Jerusalem, comes to mind right away.  But I don't know whether he is so represented in art.  Suggestions, anyone?

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]