As a Byzantinist, I would say that world does not well fit into Late
Antiquity or Early MA.  I am in the group that believes "Byzantine" is a
culture that evolved from the shocks of the Islamic advance & so it is
Late Antique/Late Roman, becoming Byzantine in the 7th century with
Heraclius (610-641).  There are early/middle/late Byzantine periods
where there are clear shifts within the culture of the Eastern Empire,
but it parallels the West and like the Islamic world, cannot be subsumed
within western categories.

DW

V. Kerry Inman wrote:

> This is a solicitation for discussion. I am involved in studying The Medieval
> Islamic World. Which I call it only for lack of a better word since the Islamic
> world and pre-Islamic Near East does not conform nicely to tripartite Western
> scheme of Antiquity, Middle Ages, and Renaisance. Hence my question, which
> admittedly is solicitating opinion.
>
> 1. When does Late Antiquity end and The Early Middle Ages Begin? Your opinions
> please as well as references to discussions in print or on line. And yes I
> already know what they teach undergraduates in college, so let's spare the
> obvious.
>
> 2. How does the Byzantine World fit in? Is it late Antiquity, or Early Middle
> Ages. Your opinions please as well as references to discussion in print or on
> line. I think generally in the history of Europe the Byzantines are arbitrarily
> bifurcated into Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages.
>
> V. Kerry Inman

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]