V. Kerry Inman wrote:
> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> This is a solicitation for discussion. I am involved in studying The
> Medieval Islamic World. Which I call it only for lack of a better
> word since the Islamic world and pre-Islamic Near East does not
> conform nicely to tripartite Western scheme of Antiquity, Middle
> Ages, and Renaisance. Hence my question, which admittedly is
> solicitating opinion.
>
> 1. When does Late Antiquity end and The Early Middle Ages Begin? Your
> opinions please as well as references to discussions in print or on
> line. And yes I already know what they teach undergraduates in
> college, so let's spare the obvious.

At Oxford (and probably Cambridge, for that matter), "modern history" was
deemed to begin with the fall of the Western Roman Empire.  Nowadays, it's
probably better to regard that as the demarcation between Antiquity and the
Middle Ages.

> 2. How does the Byzantine World fit in? Is it late Antiquity, or
> Early Middle Ages. Your opinions please as well as references to
> discussion in print or on line. I think generally in the history of
> Europe the Byzantines are arbitrarily bifurcated into Late Antiquity
> and Early Middle Ages.

Actually, it's High and Late Medieval as well - the Medieval period
conventionally ends in 1453, or 1485 (England) or 1492 (the Americas) or
1500 (elsewhere).  For this list, it is probably 1570, but that's another
story.  Conventionally, the Byzantine World begins with the fall of the
Western Roman Empire.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]