'Something that should be emphasized in this discussion is the OPAC
vendors' role. They have the  ability to massively improve the
situation by adopting best practices and implementing standards-based
solutions that are accessible easy to integrate.'

I agree with Danny here. We were discussing integration, transparency,
visibility to search engines and the whole thing with a large library
system (including opac) vendor earlier this year, and were basically
stonewalled. They were totally amazed when we asked for persistent
durable URL's for the catalogue records.

It's a sad truth that functionality of vendor-supplied opacs have moved
on very little since they were launched in the mainstream in the 1980s.

Perhaps this would be an opportunity for united advocacy towards the
system vendors? Perhaps something for the MLA or MDA?

Once again, this is an area where the digital library guys are well
ahead of us (Google: Opacs suck).

Re: Google searches for museum collections, as Jim O'Donnell said on an
earlier post, we set something up last year in-house to search our
collections, and there's also this:
http://www.museumcollections.org.uk/mc/index.asp which will, I'm sure,
be familiar to list subscribers. There's certainly potential there.

Cheers
James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James Watson