On 6/13/07, James Watson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Another thing I'd be interested in - don't know if anyone knows of any -
> would be any specific user (or usability) research, into what punters
> would find most useful - specifically, do they want integrated searching
> between regular and collections web pages,

I'm not aware of any research into this specific issue but usability
guidelines would suggest the following:

People don't arrive at your site with a mental model of the underlying
architecture – they are unaware that some content is stored in a
separate database.

People think that a white box in the top-right of the page will let
them search the entire site.

Displaying a second, section-specific, search facility on pages within
that section is a good idea from a usability point of view.

(Also, splitting the search results into sections is a good way to
help people understand how things are organized.)

--

Regards,
Danny Hope