-----Original Message-----
From: learning development in higher education network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of toconnor
Sent: 22 June 2007 09:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Study skills scholarship

Hi Joelle,

I looked at the issue of 'embedding' learning skills for my doctoral
thesis
in educational psychology.  I have listed some of the main references
below
and I see John Hilsdon has given some as well.  There are two US
meta-analyses in this area (Hattie et al, 1996 and Simpson et al,
1997)which
offer mixed support for teaching study skills but appeared to be more
effective when a metacognitive aspect was incorporated or when a very
specific skill was the focus and when related to context and content.
There
is more support for 'learning to learn' courses which are centrally
taught
but of longer duration than our typical learning development
interventions
(Hofer et al, 1998; Tuckman, 2003; Weinstein, 1994; Weinstein et al,
2000).

Most of the studies I came across that attempted to embed study skills
were
descriptive rather than evaluative; some used an adjunct approach while
others were more fully integrated with subject content.  Some of these
are
in articles by Norton et al (1999), Chalmers & Fuller (1996; 1999) and
de la
Harpe et al (1998), Radloff et al (2000).  I concluded the research
suggests
that the interventions have some impact on students' learning skills and
performance and that more support exists for interventions that increase
the
use of more specific cognitive and self-regulatory strategies which is
similar to previous findings.  There seemed to be less support for
integrating learning skills to promote a deep approach (see Linder &
Marshall, 1997; Schatteman et al, 1997).

My research (a qualitative case study of four departments that attempted
teach learning skills in context)suggests there are many barriers to
embedding.  I concluded that it's a very complex issue and that perhaps
range of approaches or interventions - central as well as embedded,
remedial
as well as developmental, etc. - is needed.  Thus I'm trying to promote
student learning development across all aspects of the college!

I agree with John, there's a large-scale research project for LDHEN!
I've
attached a list of the above references (plus a few others).  Please
contact
me if you'd like more details.

Regards,
Tamara