Tinguely, everything moves
10 October 2007 27 January 2008
In the autumn of 2007, the Kunsthal Rotterdam will be presenting a major retrospective of Jean Tinguely (1925-1991) for the first time in forty years. Tinguely is one of the icons of modern art and world­renowned for his moving sculptures of rusty iron and waste material that work as machines but serve no useful purpose. Since the 1950s, his grinding, squeaking, spouting and banging oeuvre has created an indelible impression in the art world and particularly outside it. Tinguely’s large, rattling machines and colourful objects are vital and cheerful, as well as being poetic and sometimes ironic. This is art that will surprise and bring a smile to everyone’s face, especially children, simply because everything moves!

Question:
We are preparing an integrated educational programm and we are thinking incorporating 'hands-on islands' in the exhibition. Our goals is to intoduce Tinguely and his work to visitors  (esp. children 6-12 years and their parents) and make them 'think with their hands'.

The art is by itself highly interactive (you have to be present and push buttons to make it work) but we would like to 'deepen' the experience and offer vistors extras: we are for example thinking about: films, workshop 'invent your own machine'or 'make a robot', a cogwheelsculpture (where you can learn about kinetic energy), a 'trash'concert (recycling), a bike-alicious contest, how to make a drawing machine (or become one yourself). This is al linked to themes (fe: art and technique, speed, movement and racing, investigating 'the rules of art',thew influence of the visitor on art) in the exhibition itself ofcourse. Also we have a 'Formula 1 corner' and former F1coureur Niki Lauda will be opening the exhibition.

Do you have good educational programms, tours, suggestions, please mail them to me!

Thank you for responding!
Femke Hameetman

Education Department

Kunsthal Rotterdam