Hi, let's reconfirm what's in this higher-level analysis:

In this particular analysis, all entries correspond to ML-MH

The first 12 entries (modelled by EV1) are groupA condition C
The next 12 (EV2) are groupA condition P
Then group B condition C
Then group B condition P

Is this not correct? I wasn't 100% sure from your original email what
was in this higher-level analysis.

Cheers.

On 21 Jun 2007, at 18:57, Remya Nair wrote:

> Hi Steve-
>
> Thanks for your help.
> I just want to confirm one thing though...
>
> I understand with the way you set up the EVs, but to compare groupA
> vs groupB ML-MH for condition C, shouldn't the contrast be [1 -1 -1
> 1]?
> and not [1 0 -1 0] as you wrote.
> My understanding is that would be a comparison of groupA cope1 vs
> groupB cope1, right?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> On Jun 17, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 15 Jun 2007, at 17:14, Remya Nair wrote:
>>
>>> hi-
>>>
>>> i was hoping someone could help me set up an anova.
>>>
>>> let me describe the experiment:
>>>
>>> there are 2 groups with 12 subjects in each group.
>>> each subject did 8 runs (4 run for condition C and 4 runs for
>>> condition P, with 3 levels for each condition (ML/MH/SH)).
>>>
>>> i ran the first-level analysis with 3EVs (ML/MH/SH) and then
>>> combined
>>> the 4 runs of a single condition.
>>>
>>> now i have 2 .gfeat directories for each subject: 1 for condition C
>>> and one for condition P (each has 4 cope.feat dirs - ML, MH, SH,
>>> MH-SH).
>>>
>>> i want to look at the group differences across different conditions
>>> e.g., groupA vs groupB, looking at ML-MH for condition C.
>>>
>>> so i would have 48 inputs in my higher level analysis:
>>> 12 groupA cope1
>>> 12 groupA cope2
>>> 12 groupB cope1
>>> 12 groupB cope2
>>>
>>> but i am not sure how to set up my EVs and contrasts.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 1 0 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 1 0 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 1 0
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>> 0 0 0 1
>>
>> and for the question:
>>> e.g., groupA vs groupB, looking at ML-MH for condition C.
>> use the contrast [ 1 0 -1 0] etc.
>>
>>> also, what if i want to look at ML vs. (MH-SH)?
>> Probably the best  thing is to achieve this contrast at first-
>> level making the higher-level analyses easy. At first level this
>> would be:
>> [1  -1  1] though I'm not sure whether you do exactly mean ML -
>> (MH-SH)
>>
>>> likewise, is it possible to look at group differences across
>>> conditions C+P?
>>
>> Sure - in a similar manner to the above.
>>
>> Cheers, Steve.
>>

>>> thank you in advance!

>> ------
>> Stephen M. Smith, Professor of Biomedical Engineering
>> Associate Director,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre
>>
>> FMRIB, JR Hospital, Headington, Oxford  OX3 9DU, UK
>> +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
>> [log in to unmask]    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve
>> ------

---