Dear group,

Yet another newbie question:

For post-bedpost registration of standard to structural images, is it important that the images are in the same orientation?
(or just that fsl accurately understands the orientation of each image)

Specifically,
I have an spgr struct image that is collected sagittally...whereas the standard template image avg152T1 is axial...
Registration produces *.mat files to convert between them,
but now that I have been playing with flirt and masks for a while,
I am wondering if there is a way to independently examine the registration success.

Here's the result that caused me concern:
>flirt -in frontal_lobe_L2.nii.gz -ref spgr.nii.gz -init standard2str.mat -applyxfm -out frontal_mask
results in a frontal mask which is now at the back of the brain (picture attached), though it remains on the left.

Note that the left_frontal_lobe mask was originally in the same space as the avg152T1 file provided with fsl..
Overlay of the mask on the template was fine.
So, I am now worried that the registration was wrong between the spgr and the avg152T1.
How can I check?

Thanks so much for your generosity with your time.

-Dianne

--
Dianne Patterson, Ph.D.
ERP Lab