From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tom Milner-Gulland
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: Write a review of of Is Science Neurotic?

Nick, your reply was very long and I haven't had a chance to read it properly. But you should know that most university psychology departments think of Freud as the 'F' word; they consider him to be in a large part bunk, knowing as they do that he invented much of his experimental data, and so on. The whole notion of the Oedipus concept is pure speculation and the stages of infantile sexuality remains, likewise, speculation.

 Neurosis is in essence a physiological condition, arising from deficiency in supply of neurotransmitters, and is best treated by reference to that principle. Psychology has for far too long followed the poor model of the academic side of the sciences and put theory before evidence. It surely must be because theory is easier to assimilate and - strangely - its assimilation by the mind correlates closely with phases of boosted ego of the subject who assimilates it.

 Blimey, if your other role model is Popper, then let us all start popping pills.

Tom