  From: Harvey Sarles
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Write a review of of Is Science Neurotic?

  Nick,
  About your/our relationship with American Pragmatists: There's a bit more to the story of pragmatism -aim-oriented empiricism. I agree that there is not much directed toward empiricism in the works of James, Dewey, and Peirce. There is, however, a good bit of Dewey which relates to the study of the human body - but it is usually dispensed with by philosophers. In his later life, he studied Alexander Technique - managed a neck/upper back issue, and wrote a good deal about this - but only as Intoductions and Comments to Alexander's work (See: "The Resurrection of the Body." - I'll attach the most interesting (to me, at any rate) quote which leads (me...) to questions of the "obvious" about our being, and toward wisdom." Much of Pragmatism, from Peirce to Dewey has been the attempt to "undo" or "get around" the Western dualism of mind and body: wise? I think so.

  Dewey's good friend, George Herbert Mead, was much more directed toward the study of the human - my major teacher, Ray Birdwhistell, followed Mead's ideas of Symbolic Interactionism, in which Mead sent his students out to study the human-in-interaction. His vision (Mind, Self, and Society) "inverts" the very idea of the individual, as "emerging" from a "transformational" relationship with others, and becoming an individual self/I via development. Others in this line include Erving Goffman - also a student of Birdwhistell in the Meadian line. I'm currently crafting a piece I call "The Grand Inversion" which might lead us to rethink the human in many senses. Mead's ideas (with K. Lorenz' on Imprinting) have only recently been taken into the study of Child Development as "Attachment Theory."

  So, whether it's (American) Pragmatism, or particular thinking of certain thinkers, I think there is something here to pursue  wisdom. We are, after all, "measurers" of the world - and if we have (we have!) characterized the human poorly or incompletely, then we need to rethink how we have thought about the world. Much of my work and thinking is to "observe ourselves observing" - The Body Journals, Language and Human Nature, etc.

  From Dewey: “No one would deny that we ourselves enter as an agency into whatever is attempted and done by us. That is a truism. But the hardest thing to attend to is that which is closest to ourselves, that which is most constant and familiar. And this closest ‘something’ is, precisely, ourselves, our own habits and ways of doing things as agencies in conditioning what is tried or done by us...the one factor which is the primary tool in the use of all these other tools, namely ourselves, in other words, our own psycho-physical disposition, as the basic condition of our employment of all agencies and energies, has not even been studied as the central instrumentality.” (Dewey, John, “Introduction” in Alexander, Frederick Matthias, Constructing Conscious Control of the Individual, New York. E.P. Dutton, 1923. xxxii)

  Best,
  Harvey