Dear Harvey and all,

The reference to 'smart and dumb' prompts me to paste in below a lyric I wrote a couple of weeks ago!  It relates to the difference between regarding 'self' rationalistically as an 'objective definition', equivalent to an absolute dimensionless (space-less) 'point' or 'full stop', isolated from context, and regarding 'self' inclusionally as 'neighbourhood'. In the latter case, 'self' is understood as a dynamically bounded inclusion of space in space - 'somewhere' ('local') within 'everywhere'  ('non-local') - which cannot be defined absolutely. Herein, for me, lies the difference between abstract 'entity' and real 'identity', along with an understanding of evolutionary process as co-creative transformational 'learning through experience' ('Natural Inclusion'), not prescriptive, eliminative selection (which is an artefact of objective self-definition).

I have no doubt, from what I have come across second-hand, that Dewey was on this track, as David has drawn attention to in his 'last post'. Likewise other pragmatists. But the clarity of our dynamic situation, for me, comes with understanding the implications of the fluid, space-including geometry of Nature, which are not addressed and cannot be addressed by orthodox (definitive) logic and associated mathematical and scientific method. Continuity cannot be understood in terms of discontinuity, but the latter can be derived (abstracted) from the former by regarding space objectively as an 'absence of material presence' - i.e. as a 'gap', 'nothingness', or empty 'vacuum' - not as a vital 'dynamic inclusion of and in material presence'.

I feel that there is a need, along the lines that Harvey suggests, to get on with researching how to develop this understanding (and commensurate understanding of what gets in the way of understanding by way of objective definition) if 'bit part' 'Knowledge Enquiry' is to transform into wider 'Wisdom Enquiry'. It's great to acknowledge and include the contribution of forerunners, but to regard the latter, or indeed ourselves, as 'authority figures' whose 'sovereign claims' to 'intellectual property', we debate interminably is, to my mind, counter-productive, harking back to what we are endeavouring to grow beyond.

I have put several recent essays on these themes at http://people.bath.ac.uk/bssadmr. These include some reference to 'proprioception', which I think Harvey alludes to.

Warmest

Alan

Don’t Call Me Clever, Stupid!