STAND AND DELIVER 1988
  DANGEROUS MINDS M PFEIFFER
   ``To Sir With Love''? ``Stand and Deliver''? ``Up the Down Staircase''? It's an old, reliable movie formula: Idealistic teacher braves the jungle of an inner-city classroom, battles apathy and hostility, and scores sweet victory with galvanized minds and newly melted hearts.
It's contrived, it's hokey, but in ``Dangerous Minds,'' a Michelle Pfeiffer vehicle that opens today at Bay Area theaters, it works surprisingly well. Pfeiffer plays LouAnne Johnson, an ex-Marine who took on some problem students at Carlmont High School in Belmont, inspired their interest in poetry and language, and wrote about her experiences in her 1992 book, ``My Posse Don't Do Homework'' (great title; they should've kept it for the film).

Patricia Molloy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
          Oh, I too love this topic! Off the top of my head, my favourites of what I call inspirational teacher narratives (and which feature classroom conflict) are Blackboard Jungle (1995) and Dangerous Minds (1995). Depending on how you define conflict, I'd include The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie as well.

cheers
p.

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

stephanSE
"Terrorism really flourishes in areas of poverty, despair and hopelessness, where people see no future."
-COLIN L. POWELL, secretary of state. NYTimes 2002-02-02
Queen Christina (Greta Garbo) 1933 "The wind is with us."
Elfriede Jelinek 2004-12-10 "Der Wutwind weht und reisst alles mit...."
Portrait of a Showgirl, 1982: "The more you get, the more you need and things become a drug"
Train de vie, 1998 Shlomo: "How do I wash my eyes when seen too much?"
Holocaust Memorial, Berlin: "It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say." Primo Levi
Private: http://www.stephanlinsenhoff.se/
Work: http://www.ivprogrammet.com/

*
*