BSL this students first language, and English their second.  Complex written information is difficult for BSL users to understand.

It is important that an interpreter does this task, as they will need to ensure that the transcription is firstly a true representation of the facts, but also that they themselves are familiar with terms and the meanings, for when they are supporting the student in and out of class.

In this case it was the students tutor for the deaf who recommended that the student access this support to ensure that the student had a true reflection of the spoken and written materials that are discussed and taught in class.  The interpreter used in this case is also a trainee, so gained vital experience by doing the transcription into plain English on behalf of the students SLi.

This also meant that the students DSA’s were not paying the full expense of a fully qualified SLi.  This area was heavily research prior to the original application, in conjunction with the SLi, and the tutor for the deaf as well as the student himself, which I might add was agreed by the LA, and only later withdrawn.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Simon Morris

Disability Adviser