Dear Colleagues,

perhaps someone could clarify something for me.

LEAs currently pay assessment centres in excess of 400 pounds for "professional" opinion in the form of a report on the needs of an individual student. Assessors work within the guidelines that they have available, they meet the student and spend some time with them discussing their perceived needs and bring their own experience to the table to share with the student to try and establish what will be the best study strategies to employ at that point of the course and hopefully for some time in the future. However I understand that LEAs sometimes decide that the recommended strategies are not appropriate.

I accept that LEA officers are experienced individuals and knowledgable about the financial side of DSA and support, but what is the point of money being spent on a needs assessment if the need is then rejected perhaps on the grounds of cost?

A hypothetical example of this might be an assessor recommending a note taker for a severely dyslexic and dyspraxic student, but the LEA only committing to pay for a digital recorder and software such as Dragon so that the student can somehow transcribe their own notes. This may be achieveable in theory, but in practise the additional time and energy it would take such an individual would likely be too much for any but the most remarkable of individual.

It also seems to be unfair that a reasonable adjustment is not being made. Unfair to the student and the university. The university are at risk of legal action because they have the responsibility for making lectures and studying accessible, however they don't necessarily have the resources as this (note taker support in this instance) should come through the LEA as recommened by the needs assessor - we seem to be in a loop somewhere which leaves the university at risk and more importantly the student high and dry and possibly failing.

Does anyboby know if there has been any high quality and appropraite training for LEA awards officers to help them fully understand the difficultues faced by students with specific learning difficulties or mental health difficulties for that matter? Has anybody else had any similar difficulties with supporting students in terms of funding for recommendations, and how can students and disability officers best deal with these situation in future as they arise?

Alex larg
Former Disability Officer