But there is a difference between the D/deaf students and the international students (unless they are also D/deaf)

The international student can choose to learn a different language using standard (and perhaps expected) techniques.

A Deaf student cannot do this in the same way because they are fundamentally different i.e. their disability or difference makes it different for them - they cannot learn language by hearing it and that is generally how language is learnt. But this doesn't make them any less valid as a member of society. It just means that society needs to be aware of the difference and accommodate them, either by being inclusive which is preferable or by bolting on extras which come at an additional cost - to be met by?

Maybe the equivalent would be for them to be competent BSL users?

Alex

> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:22:43 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Transcription of course materials for BSL users
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> International students must show that they have an adequate standard of English skills to access their courses - so shouldn't that also hold for all students including those students whose first language is BSL?
>
> Did I here a big bang somewhere?

> Rhun ap Harri
> Swyddog Anabledd PCA/UWA Disability Officer.
> Prifysgol Cymru Aberystwyth University of Wales.
> Ystafell G7/Room G7 Cledwyn Building.
> Campws Penglais Campus.
> Aberystwyth Ceredigion SY23 3DD.
> Ffôn: / Tel:01970 628537.
> Ffacs: / Fax: 01970 621759.
> www.aber.ac.uk/welfare-disability

Are you the Quizmaster? Play BrainBattle with a friend now!