I'm afraid I've come a bit late to this thread but it is interesting to
note that in June last year we were having a similar discussion (see the
series of emails under the thread  'Anonymity when making FOI requests of
your own organisation' in the June 2006 archives.)

Just a point on John Doe - the name is traditionally used as an alias for
an unknown identity such as a deceased or some other anonymous person.
The other name often used for anonymous parties, particularly compalinants
or applicants are Richard Roe for males and Jane Roe for females - as in
the landmark U.S. Supreme Court abortion decision Roe v Wade.

The names come from a 14th century debate on the Acts of Ejectment
involving a hypothetical landowner, John Doe, who leased land to the
similarly fictitious Richard Roe - obviously a dispute concerning a couple
of old deers!

Seriously though, in the circumstances that Ian dscribes it is unlikely
that the Courts would persuaded not to assist an amnesic 'John Doe'.  The
real reason the guidance was given was to deal with frivolous and
vexatious requests.

Worth having a look at last year's discussions.

regards,

Kevin Broadfoot