The answer is "never".

Whether the DPA mandates it or not, it is essential business practice to log the source of a data record, not least because lists are rented for single, limited or multiple use, and there can be serious legal implications about theft of data if the number of uses (by source) is exceeded.  Equally, since these people will have rented lists, the source of the record is (likely to be) data that they hold about you.

I would push back very hard to them and insist that they give you the source of the data record.  They say you were added recently.  Under those circumstances they must know the source.  In my view the only excuse for not knowing is "We have only been tracking the source since December 2004 (eg).  Your record was added prior to that date, and I regret our records do not show the source"

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jane Bartlett
Sent: 01 June 2007 18:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Email marketing lists

I recently received an email advertising seminars and training courses. I replied, curious to know how they had got my details. Oh and I also pointed out that I had never been "Mr." Bartlett

I received the following response

"We have several lists for sourcing our mailing list but unfortunately I am unable to confirm exactly where we sourced your name from. I can confirm that your name was only added recently and you have received this communication as someone who we believed this seminar would be relevant to. We only email people with courses that we think will be relevant to their professional development and professional standing.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we have caused you, I assure you this will not happen again."

Would you buy a training course / seminar on Data Protection from these people ………….?

Jane Bartlett
Freedom of Information Officer
East Sussex County Council

Phone: 01273 482913    Fax: 01273 481208
email: [log in to unmask]   web: www.eastsussex.gov.uk/foi

This message is intended for the use of the
addressee only and may contain confidential or
privileged information.

If you have received it in error please notify the
sender and destroy it.

You may not use it or copy it to anyone else.

E-mail is not a secure communications medium.
Please be aware of this when replying.

Although East Sussex County Council has taken
steps to ensure that this e-mail and any
attachments are virus free, we can take no
responsibility if a virus is actually present and you
are advised to ensure that the appropriate checks
are made.

You can visit our website at http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]