fyi.

mark

From:   Lawson E.
Sent:   04 June 2007 08:59
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        WUN Earth Systems 6 June

Dear All,

The next WUN Horizons in Earth Systems virtual seminar will take place
on Wednesday 6 June 2007. Please publicise this seminar widely to your
colleagues and students. Apologies for short notice.

SPEAKER: Dr Myles Allen, University of Oxford

TITLE: What can be said about 21st century climate?

TIME: 9am Pacific, 11am Central, 12noon Eastern, 5pm BST and 6pm CEST

SLIDES: PowerPoint doc. to be posted on the Earth Systems website -
www.wun.ac.uk/horizons/earthsystems/
<file://www.wun.ac.uk/horizons/earthsystems/>  by Wednesday morning.
(username: earthsystems, password: molecular).

ABSTRACT:
For many practical planning purposes, the only really useful climate
forecasts are those which rule out certain changes as improbable rather
than simply ruling them in as possible. And the changes most people are
really interested in are not changes in decadal average temperature or
rainfall, but changing risks of relatively extreme, and hence
infrequent, weather events. Together, these statements raise
far-reaching questions about the way we approach climate modelling, both
in our priorities for model development and in our use of computing
resources.

The need for some kind of estimates of uncertainty in climate forecasts
has been recognised for some time. Early approaches (e.g. Allen et al,
2000; Forest et al, 2001; Stott and Kettleborough, 2002) were inspired
directly by the "detection and attribution" literature which takes a
relatively cautious, data-driven approach to uncertainty analysis
(Hasselmann, 1993). More recently, perhaps born out of frustration with
the large uncertainty ranges that the data-driven approach seems to
generate, there has been a surge of interest in much more subjective
approaches that explicitly combine the constraints provided by data with
the prior expectations of the climate forecasters (e.g. Murphy et al,
2004). I will argue that this is a very dangerous development and that
we abandon a staid reliance on data at our peril. If we take the
explicitly subjective approach, then the authors of the IPCC Fifth
Assessment will either have to relax the standards of proof they require
for attribution statements (and endure the ensuing uproar) or risk
appearing more confident about the future than they are about the past.

I will begin by discussing these questions in the context of very simple
climate models, and proceed to explore their implications in results
from the climateprediction.net slab (Stainforth et al, 2005; Piani et
al, 2006) and coupled (Frame et al, in prep) ensembles, the latter also
known as the BBC Climate Change Experiment. The focus will be on
large-scale global and regional changes in average temperature, which
although interesting scientifically have relatively little practical
relevance. Hence in the third part of the talk, I will present some
preliminary results from the climateprediction.net seasonal attribution
project (Pall, 2007), which combines information provided by relatively
coarse-resolution global climate models with a very large ensemble of
simulations with a seasonal forecast resolution model to quantify the
role of increased greenhouse gas levels on the risk of recent flooding
events in the UK.

In the final part of the talk, I will talk about some of the
implications for climate modelling. If we are to avoid relying on crude
scaling arguments, systematically quantifying uncertainty in climate
simulation and prediction appears to require ensembles of, potentially,
thousands of climate models. Clever design might reduce the required
ensemble size, but incorporating more sources of uncertainty would
increase it again. We do not design most climate models with
hundred-member, never mind thousand-member, ensembles in mind. Improving
our "probabilistic resolution" need not necessitate sacrificing spatial
resolution if we take a more flexible approach to the design of climate
modelling experiments and our use of computing resources.

Biography and suggested readings will appear on the website shortly.

Please let me know if you have any queries- we hope to see you there.

This email has been sent to the WUN earth systems mailing list. If you
wish to be removed or replaced on this list please let me know.

Thanks and best wishes,
Elisa

Dr Elisa Lawson

WUN Development Manager