Mary Beaudry to Cornelius, CONTEMP-HIST-A.
show details
 6:13 pm (1 minute agoCornelius, it is our loss that you will not be
attending the SHAs in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  You would no doubt love it!
I for one (not really for one, I know many share my opinion), am not all
about the material and the past.  One could never have been a student of Jim
Deetz and feel that way.  Jim sensitized us all to the archaeology of the
here and now, of the materiality of the immaterial.  (I realize this may be
politically incorrect to say in the new era of denying materiality, which
followed so closely if not rather rudely upon the recognition of same.)

Sad to say, Cornelius, I think you misjudge the likely interests of the vast
majority of American historical archaeologists.  There is still a rather
absurd clinging to "first," "earliest" and so forth, with a strangely
un-anthropological interest in archaeological (if not material) analysis of
contemporary culture.  Sad, sad, to think that all that is Jamestown is
somehow more important than the archaeology of so many other lives and
times, especially those of the most recent past.  Your contributions to our
comprehension of same are much appreciated!

all best,
mary b.- Show quoted text -

--
Mary C. Beaudry, PhD, RPA, FSA