Frank,

You will get a variety of opinions here, but I really like my Olympus
SZX-12. (I used many different models when I was training, and I by far
preferred the Olympus scopes for their ergonomics. YMMV) For
xtallography you will want a separate (cold) light source with fiber
optic cable. I have a 1X objective and 10X binocular eypiece, which
gives up to 90X magnification. You can also attach polarizers to the
stage and to the objective if you wish. A simple eyepiece adapter will
allow you to use most Olympus C-series digital cameras to document
images. (The other option is a trinocular head which is very expensive,
although very nice for teaching purposes, as you can feed the live
digicam CCD image to a video monitor. It is slightly dimmer than a
binocular head, since you have to split the light path again.) I think I
got my basic setup for about $12K several years ago.

Cheers,

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor
Department of Chemistry