Morning

I am wondering whether anyone can offer advice about funding to two
Graduate Trainees that are due to start the post-graduate course at
Glasgow University in September.

They are both self-funding their course and are looking for a postgraduate
loan of c£12,000 to cover fees, transport, accomodation etc..., however it
appears that the major banks including Natwest, HSBC, RBS, Barclays now
cap loans at £8,000.

Some banks do offer career development loans up to £25,000 includind HSBC
but this appears not to apply to the Archive and Records Management
Profession.

I would imagine that the majority of students have to get development
loans has only a small minority receive grants. I had no problem getting a
loan from a major bank 4 years ago, can any one tell me if this siutation
has changed recently as both trainees are considering deffering this year
and are concerned that they want to able to fund the course at all?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Leanne Swallow
Senior Search Room Archivist
The National Archives fo Scotland