The vision thing...

In some ways, Martin makes us sound like British Gas or BT, trying to win back those customers who switched years ago, by offering new products, levels of service or simply lower prices.

In this debate we perhaps need to think, as Nigel pointed out, about why we exist in the first place, and what our role really is.

We exist to serve our employers, to assist them in compliance with their statutory responsibilities for record keeping.  Domesday Book is still a valuation list, and Magna Carta a tenancy agreement, although admittedly on a slightly larger scale, and, at this distance, a touch more significant in the general scheme of things.

Our role, in a continuum sense, relates to selection, preservation and access.  Access is a consequence of the other two.  It may be permitted or not permitted, but it definitely comes in third.

Losing sight of the first two elements is perhaps a consequence of our pre-occupation with the third: community archives and genealogical tourism are not the main purpose of our existence, and perhaps our employers and the sector need to be reminded.

Recent postings to the Canadian and Australian archives lists are testimony to the consequences of disconnection with our main purpose and our employers’ business.

Robert Chell

Records Manager     Rheolwr Cofnodion

Clerk to the Council  Clerc i'r Cyngor

Room 111, County Hall  Ystafell 111, Neuadd Sir

CARDIFF  CF10 4UW    CAERDYDD CF10 4UW

( 02 920 873327