Interview request:

Please find below details of an interview request I have received for an archivist working in classification and computed systems aged under 30. The interview will be published in a book called 'Working in Culture and Heritage'.
If you are interested or would like  further details,  please respond by 28th June to Vanessa Histon at [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 June 2007 10:14
To: Oliver, Elise
Subject: Archivist case study for careers book

My editor has asked me to find: 'An archivist working in classification and computer systems' aged under 30. I think someone involved in a database or digitisation project would be ideal, but other ideas would be welcome.

The book, Working in Culture and Heritage, is part of a long-running  nationally distributed series, originally published by the DfES but now published by VT Lifeskills. It is aimed at 13-19 year olds in schools and consists of 19 case studies covering a wide range of jobs in museums, conservation and archaeology.

The completed interview would be very short (850 words) and I could do them by phone or email, whichever is most convenient (email is often easier as phone interviews can take up to 45 minutes). We will also need to arrange to have our photographer take some photographs of the interviewee in a work situation. I would do the interview between now and mid-August, but the photographs won't be taken until September. I know it is hard to predict these things, but we need to be fairly certain that the person I interview will still be in post then.

The interview questions are very simple, covering what the interviewee does on a day to day basis, what skills they need, their working hours, how they trained, what they particularly like and dislike about the work and their ambitions for the future. I can send you a complete list of questions if this would be helpful.

It's very important to make sure that everyone is happy with the case study before it goes to press so the interviewee and anyone else you think appropriate (eg line manager, communications team) would be asked to look at the interview before I send it to my editor.

I would be happy to chat about the project to anyone who might be interested before they commit themselves.

My deadline for collecting names of potential case studies to send to my editor is 29 June, but if you aren't able to help, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know as soon as possible so I can approach other organisations.

Please get in touch if you need any more information.

regards

Vanessa

Vanessa Histon
50 Lavender Gardens
Jesmond
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 3DE
Telephone: 0191 212 0117

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential  to The National Archives.  If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.