This is the first time I have heard about academic boycotts. Whether this
practice is uncommon in Canada, or I am just not aware of it, I am not sure.
But it seems that boycotting a group of individuals based on the actions of
their government would be counter-productive. There are multiple forms of
protest, and stating that "academics are colluding with the Israeli
government by not standing up against it" seems like an "if you are not with
us, you are against us" statement. Should not our goal be the creation of a
strong international archaeological community which can combat these issues
as a force? I see dialog, communication and community as our greatest
weapon. Is there not some other way of expressing outrage over polities
without alienating members of the archaeological community?

Sincerely,
Danielle

Danielle Macdonald
PhD Candidate