Dear All,
I have been following this 'Hate Crime' thread with interest because we are in the process of introducing an 'Equality Related Incident Log'. This will use a development of the definition suggested by Lord Macpherson for a racial incident. I think it is important to record as many instances as possible of behaviour which any person perceives has been motivated by prejudice or results in discrimination because this will provide the sort of information that will help to challenge this behaviour in the future. Such a system will capture the sort of circumstances that Ann outlines here. We feel that if we have a 'Hate Crime' reporting system we will remain unaware of many minor incidents for a range of reasons and will not be able to 'take the temperature' of day to day incidents which may be causing alot of concern for individuals.

The very concept of 'Hate Crime' Reporting goes against the ethos of the Macpherson report. (it in fact originates from the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 - see http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/racial/racial2.htm) What Macpherson tried to do was encourage Police Forces to capture minor incidents because Police Officers were reluctant (and in many cases flatly refused to) take reports of incidents unless an actual 'crime' was reported. This resulted in many incidents simply being ignored because they failed to reach the 'crime threshold' which meant the Police had no real idea of what racially motivated incidents were occurring because discrimination and racist behaviour alone are not criminal offences. Effectively it also meant that ethnic minority members of the community could not rely on the police when seeking to challenge minor instances of discrimination or expressed prejudice. The result was a loss of respect and confidence in the police and the reality that racially prejudiced behaviour was perfectly acceptable in many places because there was no effective mechanism to challenge it. The 'perception of any person' aspect of the Macpherson definition was included specifically to lower the threshold resulting in a greater flow of information about minor, but important and distressing incidents.

At the moment it is probably the case that few institutions have a mechanism to challenge prejudiced behaviour because the Macpherson recommendations were aimed at the Police and other relevant public authorities e.g. housing depts., etc. But what is growing in prominence is the term 'Hate Crime' which as I understand it is a crime which because it is motivated by prejudice is rightly considered to be more serious than a straightforward crime crime of assault, damage, theft etc, and this aggravating factor attracts a greater punishment for the perpetrator. It is undoubtedly the duty of all higher education establishments to fully cooperate with the Police to deal with and prevent such incidents but if we adopt such a system which we run alone as a means of recording equality related incidents we will seriously inhibit our ability to monitor more minor incidents because people will not consider many incidents worthy of reporting because of the risk of getting involved with giving evidence, or being seen as a trouble-maker, or getting people into trouble for inadvertent beheviour linked to institutional discrimination or simply because they do not consider the behaviour to be a 'crime', which in most cases will be true.

We therefore need to be clear about what we want to record or act on. There are enormous benefits to be gained from recording all incidents which are motivated by prejudice or result in discrimination but the simple fact is that not all of them are 'crimes'. Nor is the term 'Hate Crime' sufficiently flexible to include all incidents. The system we plan to introduce is aimed at capturing all equality related incidents of whatever degree of seriousness, using the Macpherson definition as a basis. We will monitor the information we gather and where necessary backtrack to ensure appropriate action has been taken in every case. I am happy to discuss this further off forum if anyone is interested.
Anthony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony Houldsworth
Diversity and Disability Advisor
The Institute of Cancer Research
Sir Richard Doll Building
15 Cotswold Road,
Sutton, SM2 5NG
DL: 020 8722 4129
Tel: 020 7352 8133 Extn 4129
Fax: 020 8722 4048
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 19/06/2007 11:33:14 >>>
Hi Robyn,
While hate crimes may not be an overt issue, from my experience harassment and subtle discrimination  of disabled people exists and takes many forms.. Examples include comments that disabled people cannot perform like able bodied people, not being promoted or given opportunities to progress because of negative  stereotypes and perceptions, exclusion from activities because it will be inconvenient to include them. Perceptions that making RA will cost too much money and cost departments, refusal to make effective reasonable adjustments on the basis of time taken and cost. Pushing these issues back to disabled people as their  problem rather than  the institituion's.  To my surprise arguments that would not prevail in other sectors that have more awareness of disability issues are an issue for HE. I have been able to pick up on these issues because I am disabled and they may not be apparent to other people.

Regards

Anne