On Tue, 22 May 2007, Peter W. Draper wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Peter W. Draper wrote:
>
>>  OK, quotes can be difficult to keep hold of, so how about:
>>
>>        (*12h34m56s~1m19s:12h34m56s:12d35m01s)
>>
>>  That's explicit and nothing special to anyone except the reader. Might
>>  mean a bit of extra work if the d/h don't match the axis.
>
> Sorry, for the confused that should be:
>
>       (*12h34m56s~1m19s,12d34m56s:12d35m01s)
>
> to make sense.

I like this a lot. It especially makes it clear what units the string
after the ~ is using.

In my opinion though the "*" at the front looks really superfluous. I'd
suggest that we forget about AXIS completely. If something has a decimal
point in it or hms/dms, treat it as a WCS section. If there is no WCS use
AXIS as now. I don't really see any reason to stick with the "section
refers to AXIS" notion since most people using AXIS don't have .WCS and
most people using .WCS don't even know what AXIS is.

If we do that the "*" disappears. The "*" isn't needed either way in the
above since surely the parser will be clever enough to spot a hms? (even
if it needs two passes through the string).

--
Tim Jenness
JAC software