Brian,

   I'm wanting to write a large string buffer to an HDS file (around 130 to
140,000 characters) and HDS is complaining because DAT__MXCHR is set to
65535 characters.

!! Invalid length encountered in the character type specification
!     '_CHAR*137202'; should be in the range 1 to 65535 (possible programming
!     error).
!! DAT_NEW: Error creating a new HDS component.
!! DAT_NEW0C: Error creating a new HDS scalar character component.
!! Error closing Spectrum file

Can I assume that this is a fundamental limit of HDS (presumably because a
byte is used somewhere in the HDS internals to store the size of a string)
or is it something that can be changed without changing the file format?

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether I need to write some code to
split the string into chunks (by finding the longest line, counting the
number of lines and then creating a _CHAR*n array of nlines like the FITS
extension)...

Tim